- “Colonialism and the Politics of Translation”, in An Other Tongue: Nation and Ethnicity in the Linguistic Borderlands, ed. Alfred Arteaga (Durham: Duke University Press, 1994).
- “Colonialism and the Aesthetics of Translation”, in Interrogating Modernity: Culture and Colonialism in India, (eds.) Tejaswini Niranjana, P. Sudhir and Vivek Dhareshwar (Calcutta: Seagull Books, 1993).
- “Translation, Colonialism, and the Rise of English”, in Rethinking English: Essays in Literature, Language, History, ed. Svati Joshi (Delhi: Trianka, 1992).
- “Indian nationalism and Female Sexuality: A Trinidadian Tale”, in Sex and the citizen: interrogating the Caribbean, ed. Faith Smith(Charlottesville : University of Virginia Press, 2011).
- “Hindi Cinema and Popular Music in Trinidad”, in Remembered Rhythms, (eds.) Shubha Chaudhuri and Anthony Seeger (Kolkata : Seagull Books, 2010).
- “Gender and the Media: Problems for Cultural History”, in Re-Figuring Culture: History, Theory and the Aesthetic in Contemporary India ed. Satish Poduval (Delhi : Sahitya Akademi, 2005).
- “Vigilantism and the Pleasures of Masquerade: The Female Spectators of Vijayasanthi Films”, in City Flicks, ed. Preben Kaarsholm(Roskilde University: Occasional Paper Series, 2002).
- “Nationalism Refigured: Contemporary South Indian Cinema and the Subject of Feminism”, in Community, Gender and Violence: Subaltern Studies XI, (eds.) Partha Chatterjee and Pradeep Jeganathan (Delhi: Permanent Black, 2000).
- (with Vivek Dhareshwar), “Kaadalan and the Politics of Resignification”, in Making Meaning in Indian Cinema, ed. Ravi Vasudevan (Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2000).
- “English Education in the Multi-lingual Classroom”, Inter-Asia Cultural Studies 16:2 (2015)
- “Culture, Feminism, Globalization”, Introduction to Special Issue-Women’s Studies, Economic and Political Weekly 50:17 (2015), April 25.
- “Music in the Balance: Language, Modernity and Hindustani Sangeet in Dharwad”, Economic and Political Weekly XLVIII: 2, (January 12, 2013), 41–48.
- “Why Culture Matters: Rethinking the Language of Feminist Politics”, Inter-Asia Cultural Studies 11:2 (2010), 229–235.
- “Transported by Song: Music and Cultural Labour in Dharwad”, Sangeet Natak XLIII:2 (2009), 35–44.
- “Teaching Gender Studies as Cultural Studies”, Inter-Asia Cultural Studies 9:3 (January 2008), 469 – 477.
- “Feminism and Cultural Studies in Asia”, Interventions 9:2 (2007), 209–18.